Tex-Mex Turkey Sliders
40 Minutes Prep
49 Minutes Total
- 1/2 cup finely crushed Food Should Taste Good™ Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb (500 g) ground turkey
- 1 can (127 mL) Old El PasoTM chopped green chilies
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp chopped seeded serrano chile
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 12 slider buns, toasted
- 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- In small bowl, mix crushed tortilla chips and milk; let stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- In large bowl, mix turkey, green chilies, 3/4 teaspoon of the salt, the chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cheese and soaked tortilla chip mixture; stir to combine, being careful not to compress the mixture. Shape mixture into 12 (2-inch) patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add turkey patties; cook 7 to 9 minutes, turning once, until patties are browned and thermometer inserted in centre of patties reads 165°F.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, mix avocados, green onions, cilantro, serrano chile, lime juice and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Mash with fork to make chunky guacamole.
- On each bun bottom, place a turkey patty, guacamole and tomato slice; cover with bun top. Serve extra guacamole on the side with additional chips. To dice the avocado, cut in half, and remove pit. Using large spoon, scoop flesh from skin. Place one half avocado cut side down on cutting board. Make two horizontal cuts to make three planks, then cut lengthwise into strips. Turn 90 degrees, and cut again. Repeat with other half of avocado.